Discover practical strategies and case studies to increase diversity and inclusion in the workforce
One of the key challenges facing the technology sector is undoubtedly diversity and inclusion. Some progress has been made, but this has been slow, and many acknowledge that the sector has taken some steps backwards.
Women and those from BAME backgrounds are still extremely underrepresented in tech, with changes happening very gradually. The lack of funding going to underrepresented founders is also a strong contributor to the sector’s lack of diversity.
It is not only recruiting diverse talent that is the problem, but also the ability to retain these individuals. There have been reports of non-inclusive work environments at tech companies, and discrimination is a real issue – unfair treatment in the workplace is the largest driver of turnover in the industry, according to a study delivered by the Kapor Center for Social Impact and Harris Poll.
Without inclusion, any diversity progress will be short-term, so it is imperative that this is prioritised and championed from the top down.
It is positive that many of the current generation of start-ups are taking action to make their organisations diverse and inclusive from the outset. Clearly, it is more difficult for larger, more established companies to effect change, but steps must be taken to ensure their future pipeline of talent and ultimately, their ability to innovate and succeed.
Improving diversity is essential for increasing productivity and innovation, which in turn contributes to better business performance and growth.
At Diverse Tech LIVE, discover how to:
- Enhance business resilience and performance with increased diversity
- Attract and retain a higher percentage of diverse talent
- Build an outreach program to encourage young people into the sector
- Address unconscious bias in the hiring process
- Increase diversity and inclusion in practice within every element of the employee lifecycle
- Improve your benefits and policies to make them truly inclusive
- Instill a mentoring culture within your company